I've never actually written down the things that I'm thankful for. I think them an awful lot, but don't think I've ever written them down. So, with the Thanksgiving Holiday upon us, I thought it'd be a good opportunity to do so.
We are hosting this year. This is the second time since we've been in our house. My parents will be here this week and Patrick's family will join us as well. I don't go home (to San Antonio) often, but having my family here feels home enough for me. So, before I ramble any more, here is a short, non-comprehensive list of things that I am so incredible thankful for this year.
- Health. For myself, for my family. In an age where brushing your teeth and doing everyday activities "causes cancer", and families across the world are plagued with undeserved illnesses that shorten loved one's lives, I can't help but to thank God that as of now, mine and my family's health is intact.
- My husband. Lord knows I'd be so lost without him. I can't ever thank him enough for all that he has taught me about myself, about love, about life... and all that he continues to teach me -- indirectly or not. I'm thankful for his patience (because he HAS to have some dealing with me) and for just being my partner as we both navigate this sometimes crazy life.
- Lennox. Yes, my dog. In such a short amount of time, he as completely stolen my heart. He has given me a sense of patience that I have only dreamed of having. He forces me to be selfless, putting his dinner and potty breaks above my occasional after-work happy hours.
- Friendship. True, endless friendship. The type of friendship that doesn't keep score. That's remorseful. That doesn't hold grudges. This year has put that into perspective for me. I temporarily lost one of my closest and dearest friends. She went from being my matron of honor, to not being invited to my wedding. It was rough. Though things aren't necessarily 100% back to normal, I feel the unfaltering love when we do get together -- and I couldn't be more thankful for that. I have some pretty permanent friends. :)
- Time. As much as I take it for granted, when I stop and think about it, I'm so grateful for the time I've been given. Some people aren't afforded such a luxury. While I hope I'm blessed with more of it (yo, God, you hear me?), I'm thankful for every minute of every day that I've had thus far.
- The good in the world. There is no shortage of mean-spirited, ill-willed, and frankly evil people in this world. We hear about them and their attack on humanity everyday. Often times more than we hear about the good-spirited, kind people of the world. But I'm thankful for those people. The people that let you over in traffic and smile at strangers in Hobby Lobby.
- An internet connection. Yeah, whatever. If it wasn't for the internet, I would likely have to read magazines on the toilet or count the dots on the ceiling. Just saying. So as much as I hate to love it, it's a necessary evil. And adult life would just be so much more difficult and I wouldn't be full of nearly as much useful information (i.e. best happy hour spots in Dallas, or where you should have your birthday dinner).
- Justin Bieber's new album. Judge me. But not before you've heard it.
- Snail Mail. It's a lost art. I'd forgotten how awesome it was to get actual mail until I received a letter recently from my best friend in basic training. It was the most simplistic, hand-written, front-and-back note that chronicled a few experiences she's had while away. I cried real tears by the end of it... and I was so grateful to have heard from her and to know that she's doing well. I unfortunately haven't written back yet... well, because... it's a lost art. *Sigh*
- Good food. Like amazing, orgasmic, well-prepared and presented good food. The kind served at restaurants with 5-stars on Yelp. Because everyone knows there are like 5 of those tops.
Again, not a comprehensive list, but a few things to mull over while eating my weight in mac-and-cheese and drinking ALL of the sangria. Happy Thanksgiving, yall!
- Sleeveless trench - Boohoo (ton of other inexpensive options here)
- Shoes - JustFab
- Jeans - Target
- Shirt - Zara (old)
Happy Thanksgiving, kids!