I've been searching for a DIY for one of these purse/key chains ever since I saw them come on the scene. Mainly because I've seen the prices range from $14-$50, and let's just say I refuse. Then I saw Alyssa Forever's post about her DIY furry slides and when I realized she used feather boas, I jetted over to my second home...Hobby Lobby.
This little project took less than an hour to complete...with the trip to Hobby Lobby included and was so easy, my 17 year old niece made a couple for herself and her friend. They're really cute and fun and make great gifts.
Here's What You Need:
- I got the feather boas from Hobby Lobby for $4.99 each. They had a variety of colors. Be sure you get the fine feathers as they do have actual feather boas as well.
- 3 inch styrofoam balls. I also picked up 2.5in ones to make a variety of sizes.
- Key rings
- Chain (I had some in my craft closet, but also purchased one in the jewelry section of Hobby Lobby)
- Sewing pins (I got yellow because I'm cheap and they were the cheapest option. But I would advise getting white or a more neutral color.)
- Cut off the random rope at the end of the boa
- Stick a sewing pin at the very end, ensuring you get it in the center so it holds
- Stick the pin into the center of the ball
- Begin wrapping the boa in a circle, pinning every half inch or so
- Once you cover one half of the ball, cut the extra and repeat the process for the other half (I've found this method to be more sturdy than trying to wrap in a circular motion)
- Once the entire ball is covered, take you chain (taking out links if you need to) and attached one end to the key ring
- Take the other end and put a pin through the hole (you may have to tighten it with a pair of pliers so it wraps tightly around the pin)